LeafsTown

Friday, February 22, 2008

Sabres 5 - Leafs 1 -- Nine Points Out

Leaving the house late and Stuck in Toronto traffic; it becomes clear that I am going to be late to the game. What makes matters worse, while listening to the game on the radio, Brian Campbell scores a goal very early in the game. Already late, my usual parking lot was full and it cuts even more time away from the Leafs game. The car is finally parked, and the first period is over, Leafs are down 1 – 0, and I am just now walking towards the building, something was telling me this just wasn’t going to be a good night.


Finally inside, I begin my fight through the intermission crowd, my crew making a quick stop at the ice box for a drink. Myself just getting over that brutal cold, on penicillin, I stayed away from the bar and peered over the standing room section as the second period got underway, just in time to see Vanek embarrass our PK. After cursing Vanek’s name, I knew I had to save my voice if I was going to have any chance of yelling Peddie Suck’s. Still waiting on the rest of my party to get their drinks, the Leafs get a PP, I had my focus on McCabe as I wanted to see how much his wrist was still affecting his play, I watched him until he made his way to the bench and noticed Kubina jump on and high tail it to the blueline, Tomas Kaberle hit him with one of the most amazing passes, and Kubina finished the breakaway with an incredible deak and backhanded goal. It was at that point my spirits were raised, but at the same time I lost my voice cheering for an amazing pass and goal.


We finally get to our seats, and it was 2 – 1, and I am feeling good. It was at that point I noticed the D pairings mixed up, it turns out that Maurice decides to replace one of our best skating, fore-checking forwards with another defenseman. Forget Newbury or Earl who both are strong skating, quick forwards, forget about Belak who has lit a fire under this club whenever he steps on the ice, Maurice would rather disrupt our defensive pairings by having 7 D, all of whom will have to play less minutes then they are all used to, and all D will constantly have a new pairing to work with. Add to that, a 4th line that already doesn’t play much, only now being used with another forward double shifting. Overused and undernourished, the double shifter intimately hurts two lines.


The period went on, and we were still in this game, that is until Kotalik snapped a hard wrister under the arm of a tired looking Toskala who was playing in his 13th consecutive start. Followed up by Kubina making a great defensive play to get back and beat Vanek to the puck, a terrible call by the ref resulted in a penalty against Kubina, similarly to a bad call on Sundin that followed 5 minuets later, the latter resulting in a PP goal against.


Leafs down 4 – 1, playing a lifeless third period to an empty building. The insults that rang from the crowd were harsh and very negative, it heavily outweighed positive cheers, and for the first time in my life, I didn’t have the spirit to yell back at the hecklers. The nail in the coffin, the empty netter.




Overall I have never been more discouraged in the effort and result of what was the most crucial games of the season. Special Teams were as poor as usually, and being at the game and never in my life seeing the home building as upset or empty, I thought I was having a bad dream. I didnt even want to wonder why Newbury or Earl weren’t called up to replace Deveraux, rather Maurice choose to go with 7 D, ultimately as a way to disrupt both the Defensive and Offensive pairings and flow.


In the cold cold night, I lost my voice, and could barley yell out Peddie Sucks long enough to sustain a short chant at the end of the game. 5-1, the games over, and most likely the season. I was disheartened with at the coaching, the on ice effort, and the ultimate result, I figured my night couldn’t get worse.


I was right, because what made my night, on the way back to the P.A.T.H, I bumped into the great Bill Watters, the look of dejection on his face spoke volumes, I told him I was a big fan of his, but I didn’t want to bug him cause I am sure I could have talked his ear off all night as I was equally as dejected. We shared a look of gloom and he parted with some great words, F’N brutal, it brought a smile to my face, and it was definitely the highlight of the night.


As for these Blogs, with the coaching and effort I seen last night, I will be done sooner then I thought. And as this just comes in, Sundin has been asked to give a list of potential teams he would consider waving his NTC, the end is near.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home